Family relationships are an important factor in overall health. Engaging in family therapy can help families increase their understanding of one another, strengthen their connections and relationships, relieve emotional pain, and overcome negative behavior patters. You may find family therapy helpful in overcoming family dynamics that generate anger, stress, fear, grief, or confusion.
During family therapy, you will:
- Usually meet as a whole family, but sometimes individually or in other relationship configurations
- All get to describe your concerns
- Explore your family’s strengths and weaknesses in managing stress and conflict, solving problems, and expressing oneself within the family unit
- Explore family dynamics, rules, expectations of behavior, and roles
- Work on solving problems, support one another, set family norms, and identify ways to help each family member feel satisfied within the family
- Learn what makes your family unique, special, and strong